Today I was using a solvent to remove contact cement. I borrowed a respirator with charcoal filters from my friend Eric. It seemed to be working really well, as I couldn't smell a thing. I am clausterphobic, and hate to have stuff over my face. Still, I'm getting used to things like face cages on my sparring gear, that sort of thing, so I figured I could handle it.
I put the respirator on, and started to work applying the solvent, and beginning the scraping.
Then, I started to feel lightheaded. Could it be that I had somehow put the repirator on wrong, or was using it wrong and was breathing solvent fumes after all?
Then, I realized that I was hyperventilating. A few meditative breaths, and I was alright again.
Still some stickyness on the surface in places...looks like I might have to go over it again another day. But at least I know it works, and I can handle the job.